Every Oil Head’s Best Friend: OILY HAIR TREATMENT GUIDE
So many people dream of waking up to glossy, shiny hair which flows in non-frizzy waves the moment we get out of bed. While there is so much conversation about frizz and bedhead hair, none of us seem to be talking about how upsetting it is to wake up to greasy, oily hair which makes it seems like the concept of ‘shampooing’ is alien to you. No matter how much you shampoo or how often you shampoo, waking up to droopy, sticky hair seems absolutely inevitable! If you are an oily-head with an itchy scalp, don’t worry because we’ve got the best guide to help you with Oily Hair treatment to restore the flowy, youthful volume of your hair!
This Oily Hair Guide is here to help you understand why you’re struggling with Oily Hair and combat these problems with easy DIYs and haircare tips to restore your hair’s volume. Understanding our hair type and the way our scalp behaves is essential for a successful Oily Hair Treatment! Once we’ve identified the problem, our guide offers you tips and tricks to manage your oily hair as well as transform it.
In the world of hair goals being ‘non-frizz and glossy hair,' we often ignore the impact these products have on our hair. When you’re struggling with Oily Hair, often serums and other hair care products do not seem to alleviate our hair issues but aggravate them. It’s important to understand how different hair types react to different products before jumping into haircare routines which exacerbate our struggles!
Addressing the issues surrounding Oily Hair is important, because not only does Oily Hair look dull, greasy and, worn down but it is associated with having an oily scalp, which means that our scalp is producing an excess of sebum. This leads to a plethora of issues including:
- Inflammation of the Scalp
- Fungal Acne/Forehead Bumps due to oil build up on the forehead
- Damaged, oily hair with debris and dirt build-up
We understand how stressful it is to be dealing with Oily Hair and the constant ‘Did-You- Wash-Your-Hair-Today’ remarks when are doing everything you can. Having an oily scalp can also feel so itchy and embarrassing and lead to a ton of hair fall (some of it being stress, while most of it is not knowing how to manage your hair!) which is why we at Ravel want to help you with the perfect Oily Hair Treatment Guide to help you get back your shine and volume without stripping your hair of its natural oils or damaging it.
This guide is specifically aimed at people who struggle with an oily, itchy scalp or, wake up to hair that makes it seem like it hasn’t been washed for 3 weeks. Dandruff, fungal acne, sticky hair are your nemesis and all you want is to have hair that doesn’t look like it was dripped into a frying pan! If these seem familiar to you, then sing along, because we’re about to raise your Hair Volume Up!
Who’s behind all the Oiliness?
Before we get that Oily Hair Treatment, it is important to identify the cause behind our oily hair. Oily hair is usually due to an overproduction of sebum by the sebaceous glands in our scalp. When that oil gets distributed on our hair and spreads from our roots to our hair tips,
we get greasy, worn down hair. There can be several reasons behind why your hair is getting greasy, and some of these reasons may coexist or vary with different seasons.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Several hormones can cause our body to produce oil in excess leading to greasy hair. Excess Cortisol secreted during stress, amps up androgen production which leads to an overproduction of oil. Hormonal changes during our menstrual cycle, especially the 2 weeks before our menstruation, may lead to oily hair due to excess Progesterone in the body which leads to oil production. It’s important to understand the relationship between our hormones and oil production, to combat Oily Hair!
- Improper Hair Care: To reduce the grease, some of us aggressively use shampoo too often to cleanse our scalp of all the oil. Excess shampoo usage can lead to stripping our scalp of its natural moisture and oil, leading to our sebaceous glands to release MORE oil leading to even GREASIER hair. Using the conditioner near our roots, excess of serums and hair smoothening products, excess product build-up and, not knowing how to cleanse our scalp properly can also lead to a greasy scalp and oily hair.
- Genetics: Having oily hair and excess sebum production can be
- Unhealthy Eating Habits: Eating Dairy and oily food can lead to excess oil production. Lack of Vit B foods, lack of eating fresh fruits and vegetables and, not drinking enough water can lead to excess oil production leading to oily
- Styling Your Hair: How often you touch your hair, how clean your combs are and the kind of combs you use can affect how greasy your hair is. Wide toothed combs, which are cleaned with soap and water often are ideal for greasy
There can be several reasons pertinent to lifestyle, diet, and haircare which impact how oily our hair gets.
How does Oily hair Negatively Impact You?
Apart from struggling with the reduced bounce and volume, Oily Hair comes with a plethora of problems that tend to aggravate because of the excess oil production in our scalp.
- Itchy Scalp: We are all too familiar with the urge of wanting to itch our scalp in a crowded room, but feeling hesitant because we are scared of people thinking we have lice! Oily hair leads to sebum and dirt build up on our scalp which leads to itchiness which is uncomfortable and gross!
- Hair Conditions: When the sebum and debris accumulation on the scalp increases, it can lead to inflammation and conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. These lead to inflamed scalp patches and redness. Excess oil production allows for the growth of fungus and bacteria on the
- Hair Loss: Oily Hair can lead to thinning of hair and hair loss due to damage to hair follicles. Over-shampooing can also lead to stripping the scalp of its natural oils which leads to further hair damage.
- Fungal Acne: Excess Oil on the scalp makes the forehead greasy and leads to yeast overgrowth leading to fungal
- Dandruff: Inflamed scalp and itchiness and flakiness can lead to the shedding of the skin on the scalp and excess dandruff production which aggravates the
- Lifeless Limp Hair
Apart from the lack of luster, volume and a worn-down look, oily hair can lead to several other problems which is why it is important to manage the oil production on our scalp. Our Oily Hair Treatment Guide is here to help you with this!
How do I Control the Oiliness on my Scalp?
The most important way to control oily hair is to target the sebum production in our scalp. Some easy ways to help with Oily Hair Treatment are:
- Increasing Vit B intake, including fresh green food, fruits, and drinking enough water helps massively with controlling oil
- Important lifestyle changes including using a wide-toothed brush to untie the knots, not over-brushing as it may lead to sebum overproduction, not touching your hair mindlessly and not over
- Avoiding hair care products like mousse, hair wax, serums, sprays, etc, which lead to excess product build-up and contribute to the
- Cleansing Gently as aggressive cleansing can overstimulate sebaceous glands to produce excess
- Cleaning your hairbrush every 2 weeks to take off all the excess dirt and debris build upon it, so that your hair does not greasy and dirty every time you
- Not twirling your hair or touching it as in doing so, you not only add excess oil from your hands to your hair, but you might also overstimulate your sebaceous glands to produce more
Some Easy DIY’S Which Help With Oily Hair Treatment:
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is the holy grail product in the Indian Haircare market. With its soothing, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and hydrating properties, Aloe Vera is perfect to use as a hair mask in case of an oily, itchy scalp! Just take some Aloe Vera gel and apply it generously on your scalp, leave it on for 30 mins and rinse it off with cold water/mild shampoo!
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and helps control scalp flare-up and inflammation. Add 2-3 drops of Tea Tree Oil and mix it with a carrier oil like Coconut Oil to help control sebum production and reduce scalp inflammation!
- Hair Scrub: To gently exfoliate your hair scalp to remove the excess dead skin cells and sebum build-up, damp your hair and apply a hair scrub on your scalp! A simple DIY hair scrub can be concocted by simply mixing 2 Tbs of Honey, 2Tbs of Sea Salt, and 2 Tbs of Olive Oil and applying it on your damp scalp. Rinse it off with lukewarm
- Apple Cider Vinegar: To control fungal growth and sebum overproduction use diluted ACV on your scalp! Rinsing hair with ACV can remove oil build up on your scalp, balance the pH, and reduce frizz. Mix 2-3 tbsp of ACV with 2 cups of water and apply it on your scalp. Rinse off with cold water. Apply this at least two or three times a week for best results!
- Amla Powder: Amla Extract helps control oiliness and dandruff. Mix 2Tbs of Amla Powder with 2Tbs of Moringa Powder. To this powder mix, add some Coconut Milk for an extra boost of hydration. Apply this on your scalp and leave it on for 30 minutes before you go in for a shower. Using this simply Hair Mask twice a week helps massively with Oily Hair Treatment and Hydration!
Which Haircare Products Do I Use For My Oily Hair Treatment and How do I Use Them?
DIYs and Lifestyle Changes can help you change the oil levels of your hair only if they are complemented with changes in your hair care routine!
- Shampoo Properly: When you have excess oil build up on your scalp, it is important to wash it off with a mild shampoo at least thrice a week to remove the greasiness from your scalp. This also helps get rid of excess debris, dust, and pollution which has settled on the scalp. However, if you have oily hair with a dry, itchy scalp, then you are shampooing too often and stripping your scalp of its natural oils, hence making it overproduce oil. In this case, switch to shampooing less frequently. The way to Shampoo your hair properly is by taking a small amount of the shampoo, mixing it with water, and then concentrating it on the scalp and lathering it up, to effectively rinse off all the grease. Lather the shampoo on your scalp with small circular motions, avoid aggressive scrubbing, and using your nails as they may lead to irritating the hair roots, overproduction of oil, unnecessary friction, and hair damage. Use cold water to rinse off Shampoo, letting it flow to your hair tips, to prevent hair damage. Let hair air dry as hot air can cause oil
- Type of Shampoo: Avoid Shampoos with Silicones as they make hair greasier and wear it down. Use shampoos infused with Sulfur (sodium lauryl Sulfate), Selenium Sulfide, Sodium Sulfacetamide, etc which are effective in removing excess oil build- up and cleaning hair. Use Shampoos with Ketoconazole which is effective in fighting dandruff. Switch it up by using Dry Shampoos as they help absorb excess oil as well as cleanse the scalp!
- Condition Properly: Thinking that Oily Hair does not need conditioning and its daily dose of nutrition and hydration is a myth! Condition your hair twice or thrice a week, using a sparing amount of conditioner, and apply it to the ends of your hair. Do not apply conditioner on your scalp as it leads to bacterial growth, sebum production, and greasiness, as well as, product build-up which is hard to get rid of. In case conditioning makes your hair greasy, you can condition before and use a mild shampoo later to get rid of the excess product build-up. Conditioning gives your hair nutrition, moisture, and hydration which is essential even when you have oily hair.
- Use Natural Products: Skip Hair Smoothening products which involve heat as hot air increases oil production! Switch to using hair care with natural products like Tea Tree
Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, non-comedogenic oils, and gentle exfoliants which help control sebum and oil production.
- Use Paraben Free Products: Use products free from Parabens as Parabens are not just carcinogenic, but also mimic Estrogen action and can cause reproductive health problems.
We recommend Ravel’s Customized Range free from Parabens!
How do I choose the perfect Shampoo for my Oily Hair?
If you’re struggling with Oily hair, there can be a plethora of reasons behind why your scalp is overproducing oil. From your lifestyle, which includes your outdoor activity, your workouts, your dietary choices to your genetics and hair texture and type, several factors go into your hair getting greasy! At Ravel, we understand different hair struggles and recognize that just like personalities, everyone’s hair type is different, which is why we bring to you hair care customized to suit your hair needs and goals! With a simple quiz answering our questions about your hair and lifestyle, we concoct a formula especially suited for your hair type. For Oily Hair Treatment that actually works and doesn’t damage your hair in the process, switch to Ravel’s Range of Customized Shampoos which will target your specific hair issues. Our products are paraben-free, GMO-free, cruelty-free, and 100% vegan, made with premium products from all over the world to pamper your hair with the love and nutrition it needs!
How does Ravel Help with your Oily Hair Treatment?
Knowing each hair type is different, at Ravel we get to know you and your hair better to create the perfect concoction for your hair!
- Our products are thoroughly customized to suit your hair type and your
- After you take a simple quiz on our website, it helps us understand everything about your hair, including lifestyle factors that go into deciding how greasy your hair can get, and these details help us curate products best suited for your hair problems. Once you fill us in on all your hair details, our algorithm processes your answers. With a flick and a swish, we create a unique blend of all the right ingredients that help you conquer and tackle all your specific goals, problems, and
- We make your Oily Hair Treatment easier by adding customized products best suited to control the oil on your scalp. With effective ingredients like Amla, ACV, Lemon Extract, Tulsi Oil, and dozens of others, we create for you the perfect solution which serves as ambrosia for all your Oily Hair Struggles!
We source premium, clean products from all over the world and our scientists turn them into effective formulas to make sure that the products you receive are luxurious!
- Our packaging is customizable, including the color and fragrance of the product. The products also come with your name on it!
- We are GMO-free, Phthalate-Free, and Paraben free, as well as Vegan and 100% Cruelty-Free!
- Our Hair Care Kit is delivered to you in 4-6 working days and it’s absolutely personalized!
- We have a customized range of Shampoos, Hair Serums, Hair Oils, and Conditioners to get you your own personalized, effective hair care kit! These are suited to target specific hair problems, including greasy and oily hair so you have all the resources you need to get back the bounce and volume your hair deserves!
How to Use Your Ravel Shampoo?
Once you receive your personalized Shampoo, take a bit of it on your fingers, mix it with water and concentrate it on your damp scalp, massaging with soft circular motions without using your nails or getting aggressive. Our Shampoos do not lather, are Sulfate-free and are not harsh on the hair. Rinse off the shampoo with cold water to prevent hair damage.
Which Ingredients go into our Formulas?
Our ingredients breathe life into your hair. Each premium ingredient is carefully sourced and tested by our scientists to ensure safety and quality. Our ingredients are sourced from all the world to make sure you get supreme quality haircare!
Some of our ingredients in our products best suited for Oily Hair are:
Amla Extract: Helps with Hairfall, Dandruff and Scalp Health Bisabolol Extract: Anti-inflammatory, Anti-Microbial Poppyseed Oil: Helps with Shine, Dandruff control
Turmeric Extract: Helps with Hair Growth and Dandruff Control Apple Cider Vinegar: Helps with Shine, Dandruff control
Green Tea Extract: Helps with Scalp Detox Jujube Bark Extract: Dandruff Control Lemon Extract: Anti-Fungal, Oil Control Tulsi Oil: Scalp Health, Dandruff Control
We have a multitude of ingredients that offer different hair benefits and you can check out our Ingredients list at our webpage to get a detailed account of all the ingredients we use and how they help. We are 100% transparent about what we make your products with!
Oily Hair Struggles? Emerge Victoriously!
Oily Hair Treatment can be confusing because you never know whether you’re supposed to shampoo more or shampoo less, if you’re supposed to use the particular serum or whether you’re supposed to use a particular conditioner! There are a multitude of questions and just confusing answers. It’s important to understand your hair type and what gives you what YOUR hair needs, instead of choosing products that might not work for you but aggravate the damage. Try out Ravel’s line of premium, customized Haircare to make your journey to healthy hair easier!
Lifeless, Oily Hair is easy to manage if you are dedicated and patient. Understand what stimulates your oil glands on your scalp, and avoid those triggers! Add more dry shampoos
and Sulfate infused Shampoos to your regime and get rid of hair waxes and silicone-based conditioners which might make your hair greasier. Whilst you’re taking care of your hair, do not forget to give it the moisture and hydration it needs, so make sure you add Aloe and Deep Hydrating Oils into your regime because often overproduction of oil is a sign of a dry, dehydrated scalp.
By following this Oily Hair Treatment Guide, you can restore the volume and vibrancy of your hair without stripping it of its natural oils.
And remember, Ravel is here to make your journey and hair SMOOTHER!